PERKINSTON — No. 18 Mississippi Gulf Coast faces another top-20 team Saturday when No. 16 Northwest Mississippi visits Ken "Curly" Farris Field.
The Bulldogs will be looking to get back on the winning foot after dropping a pair to No. 4 Pearl River on Tuesday. The Rangers have won seven straight.
The doubleheader starts at 2 p.m. The games will be streamed at https://livestream.com/MGCCCBulldogs/events/8622716.
The Bulldogs are playing their third straight home doubleheader, part of a stretch with six home dates out of seven.
- MGCCC: 17-7/9-3 MACJC, T-3rd place in conference
- Northwest: 20-6/9-3 MACJC, T-3rd place in conference
Last Time Out
- Gulf Coast dropped a pair of games at home to PRCC, falling 6-1 and 6-3. Ike Williams (So., St. Martin/St. Martin) had four hits and scored twice, and Castor Lee (So., Gulfport/Gulfport) had a home run.
- Northwest swept Holmes on Tuesday in Senatobia, winning 2-1 and 7-3. Hammer Franks narrowly missed the cycle in the second game, going 4-for-4 with a double and a home run.
The Bulldogs knocked the Rangers out of the postseason last year, winning a first-round MACJC playoff series by sweeping in Senatobia May 10-11. Josh Lewis, now at Southern Miss, went 8.1 innings to earn the win in a 9-5 Game 1 victory. Chase Fagan had a home run, a triple and two doubles in the second game, with Brandon Parker adding two homers in a 17-8 win.
"We're going to have to beat a really good team. This is a pivotal weekend for both teams. We're going to have to beat two really good arms. We're going to have to capitalize with runners in scoring position. Against Pearl River, we left 13 men on. We'll have to capitalize in those situations to win this weekend." – Gulf Coast coach Rodney Batts
- Since returning to the bullpen, Kole Kittrell (So., Greene County/State Line) has allowed only one run (7 appearances, 9.0 innings, 2 hits, 1 R, 1 ER, 11 K, 3 BB).
- Williams has a seven-game hitting streak.
- Parker is tied for third in NJCAA Division II with eight home runs. (Dan Pruitt, Western Oklahoma State, 13)
- Cullan O'Shea (So., Mary G. Montgomery/Mobile Ala.) is tied for 19th in the country with 33 RBI.
- Dawson Hall (Fr., East Central/Hurley) is 20th in the country with 48 strikeouts.
- Wednesday, April 10, at Hinds, 3 p.m., Raymond
- Saturday, April 13, vs. Meridian, 2 p.m., Perkinston
- Tuesday, April 16, vs. Baton Rouge, 3 p.m., Perkinston
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.