PERKINSTON — Mississippi Gulf Coast has, in theory, a simple path to the MACJC South title: Win twice to clinch at least a share.
The first difficult step will come Monday night, when Jones visits the Weathers-Wentzell Center on Sophomore Night. The Bobcats are in the three-way tie for first in the division along with Pearl River.
Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., with ceremonies honoring the sophomores taking place before the game. The game will be streamed at https://livestream.com/MGCCCBulldogs/events/8568545.
- MGCCC: 18-3/10-2 MACJC South, T-1st place in division
- Jones: 16-5/10-2 MACJC South, T-1st place in division
Monday in the MACJC
- Meridian at Copiah-Lincoln, 5:30 p.m.
- Pearl River at Southwest, 5:30 p.m.
- Hinds at East Central, 5:30 p.m.
Last Time Out
- MGCCC beat No. 12 Pearl River 65-62 at Poplarville on Thursday to move into a three-way tie for first in the South. Willie Logan (So., Brookhaven/Northwest Rankin) had 18 points against his old team to lead the Bulldogs.
- Jones beat Southwest 67-59 in Ellisville to join the tie atop the division. Tirus Smith and Kenneth Rogers had 13 points for the Bobcats.
Jones beat Gulf Coast 81-68 on Jan. 24 in Ellisville, shooting 46.2 percent from the 3-point line. Dillyn Neely (Fr., Biloxi/Biloxi) had 17 points for the Bulldogs.
- Gulf Coast is allowing just 62.2 points per game, third-stingiest in NJCAA Division I.
- The Bulldogs are holding teams to 38.2 percent shooting from the field, fifth-best in the country
- Thursday, at Hinds, 7:30 p.m., Utica (end of regular-season)
- Feb. 26-28, MACJC Tournament, Ellisville
- March 5-8, NJCAA Region 23, Clinton
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.