UPDATED: This release has been changed to reflect the change in location to Ellisville.
PERKINSTON — Mississippi Gulf Coast continues to look for its first men's soccer victory of the season against a tough stretch of games to open up the schedule.
The Bulldogs travel to Jones County in a game scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. on Friday. The game was relocated because of wet field conditions in Perkinston. The teams will play their Oct. 9 game in Perkinston.
There will be no online stream of the game available.
Ceremonies dedicating the playing surface at the MGCCC Soccer Complex as Bary Thrash Field will still take place Friday at 6:30 p.m. In case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to the King Center. Thrash was the first soccer coach in program history, coaching the men's and women's teams to four Region 23 titles, five MACJC championships and 13 MACJC South crowns in 14 years.
- MGCCC, 0-3/0-1 MACJC South, 5th place
- JCJC, 2-0/0-0, T-2nd place
Last Time Out
- MGCCC lost 5-1 to Pearl River in its MACJC South opener.
- JCJC defeated Northwest 3-1 in a non-division game.
Gulf Coast defeated JCJC 4-1 last October on the strength of a pair of goals by C.J. Smith (So., Brampton Ontario/David Suzuki Secondary School).
"I think they're improved from a year ago. They'll be good at keeping the ball. It will be up to us to make sure we're playing the right way for this group to succeed." — Gulf Coast coach Chris Handy
- Gulf Coast has won the last nine meetings between the teams, outscoring Jones 32-12.
- The Bobcats' last win in the series came Sept. 23, 2013, when they won 3-2 at Ellisville.
- Sept. 11, at LSU Eunice, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 15, vs. Southwest, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 18, at Holmes, 4 p.m.
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.