PERKINSTON — A large chunk of experience will play their last games at Ross-Smith Field when No. 9 Mississippi Gulf Coast celebrates Sophomore Day on Friday.
The regular-season finale against Coahoma will start at 2 p.m., with ceremonies taking place between games of the doubleheader. The games will be streamed at https://livestream.com/MGCCCBulldogs/events/8660728.
"This group has done a phenomenal job getting us back where we need to be," Lady Bulldogs coach Kenneth Long said. "They've shown great leadership coming off two years not playing at home. They've done the things good teams have to do to win ballgames. I couldn't be more proud of this group."
There will be 11 players honored: Savannah Bryant (So., Long Beach/Long Beach), Lauren Hall (So., Nettleton/Nettleton), Hannah Hembree (So., Pascagoula/Pascagoula), Mya Hopson (So., Madison Central/Madison), Bailey Massey (So., Bruce/Bruce), Kaitlynn McGoey (So., Long Beach/Long Beach), Betty Mingo (So., Choctaw Central/Philadelphia), Bryley Rodriguez (Fr., Beau Chene/Cankton, La.), Avery Sanders (So., Edward Douglas/Thibodaux, La.), Camryn Williams (So., White Hall/White Hall, Ark.) and Katie Beth Williams (So., Smithville/Smithville).
"That's a pretty large," Long said. "It'll be hard to replace this group. There's a lot of leadership in there, and it's a group that does the right things."
- MGCCC: 27-12/19-6 MACJC, T-3rd place in conference
- Opponent: 2-32/0-24, 15th place in conference
Last Time Out
- MGCCC split a doubleheader Wednesday at Mississippi Delta, falling 5-4 and winning 9-0.
- CCC lost twice Tuesday to Itawamba, dropping 8-0 and 21-1 games.
Gulf Coast won twice at Coahoma on April 21, 2018, sweeping 10-0 and 8-2.
- Gulf Coast is tied for third with East Central in the conference standings. The Lady Warriors play Northwest on Friday to close out their season. The Lady Bulldogs would hold a tiebreaker over ECCC, based on a split with Jones.
- The MACJC Tournament will be hosted by either Jones or Itawamba, depending on who finishes first. Itawamba would win a tiebreaker because the Lady Indians swept Gulf Coast.
- May 8-11, MACJC Tournament, location TBD
- May 15-18, NJCAA Region 23 Tournament, location TBD
- May 22-25, NJCAA Division II Championship, Clinton
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.