Mississippi Gulf Coast heads up to Decatur on Thursday, and the Lady Bulldogs will face a hot East Central team that's looking for revenge.
Gulf Coast won the first meeting between the teams in December, but the Lady Warriors have won three straight. The teams are tied with Copiah-Lincoln for third in the MACJC South. The top four teams qualify for the state tournament.
Thursday's game, the first of the second half of the division slate, will be streamed at https://www.eccc.edu/eccc-media. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- MGCCC: 8-6/4-3 MACJC South$1$1
- ECCC: 13-3/4-3 MACJC South, T-3rd in division
Last Time Out
- The inside duo of Kayla Simmons (Fr., Brandon/Brandon) and Azaria Howard (So., Richland/Richland) combined for 26 points in Gulf Coast's 60-48 win over Hinds in Perkinston on Monday.
- East Central won its third straight by beating Southwest 76-69 in Decatur. Jariyah Covington led the Lady Warriors with 22 points.
Gulf Coast beat East Central 78-69 in Perkinston on Dec. 3 behind 21 points from Simmons. It was the Lady Bulldogs' first division win since 2017.
"First time around, we brought a lot of intensity on defense. If we control them behind the arc and keep that same intensity, and also limit our turnovers, that's a big thing for us." – Gulf Coast coach Hope Adams
- Kayla Simmons (Fr., Brandon/Brandon) is pulling down 5.8 offensive rebounds per game, second-most in the NJCAA. Her 10.8 rebounds per game ranks 18th.
- The Lady Bulldogs will be trying to win their fifth South Division game, which would be the most since 2013-14
- Thursday, at East Central, 5:30 p.m., Decatur
- Feb. 4, vs. Copiah-Lincoln, 5:30 p.m., Perkinston
- Feb. 7, vs. Southwest, 5:30 p.m., Perkinston
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.