Mississippi Gulf Coast games against archrival Pearl River are always intense, but Thursday's renewal of the series is game of vital importance in the MACJC South race.
The 5:30 p.m. tipoff will launch a game the Lady Bulldogs desperately need to solidify their position in the division playoff chase. Gulf Coast and PRCC are tied for second with Copiah-Lincoln, and East Central is just a game behind.
The game will be streamed at http://prccathletics.com.
- MGCCC: 11-7/7-4 MACJC South, T-2nd division
- Pearl River: 14-6/7-4 MACJC South, T-2nd division
Thursday around the MACJC South
- 8. Hinds at T2. Copiah-Lincoln, 5:30 p.m.
- 5. East Central at T6. Meridian, 5:30 p.m.
- T6. Southwest at 1. Jones, 5:30 p.m.
Last Time Out
- MGCCC's suffocating defense paved the way to a 63-35 win at Meridian. Amber Sutton (Fr., Jackson/Madison Central ) and Shelli Thigpen (So., Wylie, Texas/Wylie) had 12 points each.
- Pearl River blasted Hinds 77-35, holding the Lady Bulldogs to four first-quarter points. Shania Wright led five double-digit scorers with 15.
Gulf Coast couldn't hold on to a halftime lead, falling 72-65 in Perkinston on Jan. 22. The Lady Bulldogs made eight 3-pointers, but PRCCC had 14.
"If we get this win, I think it will go a long way to securing a spot in the state tournament. The main thing we're focusing on is trying to figure out is why we gave us so many open shots in the first game. We're a better team defensively now, and we're better offensively watching the film. Everybody understands their roles." – Gulf Coast coach Hope Adams
- Gulf Coast held Meridian to 15.2 percent shooting (10-66) from the field Monday
- Monday, vs. Jones, 5:30 p.m., Perkinston
- Feb. 21, at Hinds, 5:30 p.m., Utica
- Feb. 25, MACJC Tournament
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.