UPDATED: This release has been edited to reflect moving the game to Ellisville.
PERKINSTON — Mississippi Gulf Coast tries to win its second MACJC South game to open the 2018 season when it travels to No. 14 Jones County.
The Lady Bulldogs hope to kick off at 5 p.m. Friday trying to stay unbeaten overall, as well. They will be trying to get their first win over the Lady Bobcats in three years.
The game was relocated because of wet field conditions in Perkinston. The teams will play their Oct. 9 game in Perkinston.
There will be no online stream of the game available.
Ceremonies dedicating the playing surface at the MGCCC Soccer Complex as Bary Thrash Field will still take place Friday at 6:30 p.m. In case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to the King Center. Thrash was the first soccer coach in program history, coaching the men's and women's teams to four Region 23 titles, five MACJC championships and 13 MACJC South crowns in 14 years.
- MGCCC, 1-0/1-0 MACJC South, 1st place
- Jones County, 2-0/0-0, 2nd place
Last Time Out
- MGCCC defeated archrival Pearl River 3-1, thanks to a pair of goals by Kelby Zendejas (Fr., Brandon/Northwest Rankin)
- JCJC thrashed Northwest 8-0 in Ellisville, their second game against North Division teams to start the regular season
The teams met in last year's MACJC semifinals and tied 1-1, with Pearl River advancing 4-3 on penalty kicks. Jess Shepherd scored early for the Lady Bulldogs.
"Jones is a really good team. They have players that have to be accounted for at all times during the game. We're just going to have to make sure we're organized on that end to be successful." — Gulf Coast coach Jackie Rhodes
- Jones is 4-0-1 in the last five meetings between the teams.
- Gulf Coast's last win came on Oct. 13, 2015, when the Lady Bulldogs defeated No. 17 JCJC 1-0 on a 30-yard free kick by Tristan McFall.
- Sept. 11, at LSU Eunice, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 15, vs. Southwest, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 18, at Holmes, 4 p.m.
For more information on MGCCC's 10 intercollegiate athletic teams, follow @MGCCCBulldogs on Twitter and MGCCCBulldogs on Facebook, and go to mgcccbulldogs.com.